AMD announced the new AMD EPYC™ 7003 Series CPUs, which includes the AMD EPYC 7763, the world’s highest-performing server processor.
The new EPYC 7003 series processors help HPC, cloud and enterprise customers do more, faster, by delivering the best performance of any server CPU with 19% more instructions per clock.
Speaking at a virtual event, AMD Data Center and Embedded Solutions Business Group Senior Vice President And General Manager Forrest Norrod said with the launch of our 3rd Gen AMD EPYC processors are incredibly excited to deliver the fastest server CPU in the world.
“These processors extend our data center leadership and help customers solve today’s most complex IT challenges, while substantially growing our ecosystem,” said Forrest Norrod.
Forrest Norrod also pointed out that AMD not only double the performance over the competition in HPC, cloud and enterprise workloads with its newest server CPUs, but together with the AMD Instinct GPUs, the company is breaking the exascale barrier in supercomputing and helping to tackle problems that have previously been beyond humanity’s reach.
AMD EPYC Processors
Available immediately, AMD EPYC 7003 Series Processors have up to 64 “Zen 3” cores per processor and introduce new levels of per-core cache memory, while continuing to support the PCIe® 4 connectivity and class-leading memory bandwidth that defined the EPYC 7002 series CPUs.
SEV-SNP expands the existing SEV features on EPYC processors, adding strong memory integrity protection capabilities to help prevent malicious hypervisor-based attacks by creating an isolated execution environment.
Features & capabilities
All these features and capabilities combine to help drive faster time to results and improve business outcomes for HPC, cloud and enterprise customers.
- For HPC customers that demand the most throughput computing capabilities to do more simulations in a given time period, or use bigger data sets or more complex models, AMD EPYC 7003 Series processors enable faster time to discovery with more I/O[v] and memory throughput, and powerful “Zen 3” cores that deliver up to twice the performance for HPC workloads compared to the competition[vi].
- For cloud providers who need compute density and security capabilities, AMD EPYC 7003 Series processors offer the highest core density[vii], advanced security features and up to 2X the integer performance compared to the competition[viii].
- For the enterprise, where performance and time to value are critical to support the new “work from anywhere” environment, AMD EPYC 7003 Series processors help improve efficiency, and deliver value and performance. The new processors increase transactional database processing by up to 19%[ix], improve Hadoop big data analytic sorts by up to 60% with 61% better price/performance than the competition[x], and offer superior performance for flexible Hyperconverged Infrastructure – all of which help CIOs turn data into actionable insights faster.
Partners in race
The AMD EPYC processor ecosystem is expected to grow significantly by the end of 2021 with more than 400 cloud instances using all generations of EPYC processors and 100 new server platforms using 3rd Gen EPYC processors.
AMD EPYC 7003 Series processor-based solutions are available now through numerous OEMs, ODMs, cloud providers and channel partners around the world.
- AWS – will add the AMD EPYC 7003 series processors to its core Amazon EC2 instance families later this year.
- Cisco – introduced new Cisco Unified Computing System™ (Cisco UCS®) rack server models with AMD EPYC 7003 Series Processors designed to support modern hybrid cloud workloads.
- Dell Technologies – announced the all new PowerEdge XE8545 server with AMD EPYC 7003 series CPUs, and the company will support the new processors within its PowerEdge server portfolio.
- Google Cloud – announced AMD EPYC 7003 series processors will power a new compute optimized VM, C2D, and an expansion of the existing general purpose N2D VM later this year. Google Cloud Confidential Computing will be available on both C2D and N2D.
- HPE – announced it will double the lineup of AMD EPYC processor powered solutions, using the AMD EPYC 7003 series processors in new HPE ProLiant servers, HPE Apollo systems and HPE Cray EX supercomputers.
- Lenovo – added ten Lenovo ThinkSystem Servers and ThinkAgile HCI solutions built on 3rd Gen EPYC processors, and achieved more than 25 new world records across a broad set of industry-standard benchmarks in workload areas.
- Microsoft Azure – announced multiple new virtual machine offerings powered by AMD EPYC 7003 series processors. Azure HBv3 virtual machines for HPC applications are generally available today, and Confidential Computing virtual machines that utilize the full security features of the new AMD EPYC 7003 series processors are in private preview.
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure – announced it is extending its flexible virtual machine and bare metal compute offerings with the new E4 platform based on 3rd Generation AMD EPYC Processors.
- Supermicro – introduced the AMD EPYC 7003 series processor in its Supermicro A+ single and dual socket family of Ultra, Twin, SuperBlade®, Storage and GPU Optimized Systems.
- Tencent Cloud – announced the new Tencent Cloud SA3 server instance, powered by the 3rd Gen AMD EPYC processors.
- VMware – announced its latest release of VMware vSphere 7 which is optimized to take advantage of AMD EPYC processors virtualization performance, while supporting the processors’ advanced security features, including SEV-ES for both virtual machine based and containerized applications.
You can visit the 3rd Gen AMD EPYC processor launch page to view more content from these and other partners about how they will utilize the leadership performance and capabilities of the new AMD EPYC 7003 series processors. You can also visit the AMD EPYC partner quote page, to see global partner support of the processors.
AMD EPYC 7003 Series Processor SKU Table
|Model #||Cores||Threads||Base Freq (GHz)||Max Boost Freq (up to GHz[xi])||Default
|L3 Cache (MB)||DDR Channels||Max DDR Freq (1DPC)||PCIe®4||1Ku Pricing|