Amritsar, NFAPost: Vodafone Idea has launched eSIM support for its postpaid customers in selected circles in India. The new support will initially be only available for users of recent iPhone models, the company said.
With this new addition, which will be available in Delhi, Gujarat, and Mumbai circles, eligible Vodafone and Idea customers will no longer be required to put a physical SIM card to access their cellular network on their mobile phones, the company said adding that they will instead be able to access the network through the integrated SIM chip.
“Vodafone Idea is excited to introduce eSIM technology for our postpaid customers which enables them to enjoy the benefits of convenience and flexibility of having more than one sim even on a single sim device. We therefore believe that eSIM will provide enhanced experience to our customers as it will enable them to do a lot more with their device,” Director-Marketing at Vodafone Idea, Avneesh Khosla, said.
Till date, Airtel and Reliance Jio were the two telecom operators that were offering eSIM support in the country.
Though initially only iPhone users can benefit from this addition, Vodafone Idea will expand this facility to other phones at a later stage, the company said.
The list of iPhone models that have received eSIM support by Vodafone Idea include iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE (2020), iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and the iPhone XR.
“The service will also soon be available on the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip and Galaxy Fold,” Vodafone Idea said in a statement.
How to get eSiim on your phone
- Send SMS to 199 by typing “eSIM <space> email id” (If no email id is registered with your mobile number, send SMS “email <space>email id” to 199. Post registration you can reinitiate the eSIM process).
- If your email is valid, you will receive SMS from 199. You need to reply back with ESIMY to confirm eSIM request
- Post your confirmation SMS, you will receive another SMS from 199 asking you to provide a consent over a call
- After providing your consent on the call, an email with a QR code will be sent to the registered email id.
- Scan the QR Code
- Go to “Settings” > Select “Mobile Data” > Click on “Add Data Plan”
- Now “Scan QR code” received on mail.
- Follow the prompts on the phone.
- Visit nearest Vodafone store with proof of identity and photograph to get new Vodafone eSIM connection
- Is it preferred if you carry the handset along, so that QR code generated during the activation process can be scanned immediately
The telco promises that the eSIM will be successfully activated within two hours post scanning the QR code. It is also important to note that the QR code sent through email will be of single use.